December 1 - Spring Semester
March 15 - Summer Semester
June 15 - Fall Semester
A 12-credit Graduate Certificate
in Race Ethnicity Politics
Build your understanding of diversity's impact and shaping of society.
As an admitted or enrolled UConn master’s or PhD student, you have the opportunity to earn a graduate certificate by completing 4 pre-approved Race Ethnicity and Politics (REP) related 3-credit courses at no additional cost to you.
UConn master’s or PhD students studying fields, including, social science, social work, law, history, or public policy will find this face-to-face Storrs Campus-based certificate an excellent opportunity to build strong foundations and enhance analytical skills.
Within this program, students have opportunity to:
- Be mentored by a strong core and affiliate faculty that conducts REP research
- Join a community of graduate student interlocutors from across the university with shared REP interests
- Develop abilities to think, write, and teach about the relationships between race, ethnicity, and politics in the U.S. and globally
- Craft dissertation projects compatible with contemporary demands of academic book publishing markets
Mab Segrest, Professor
"Administrations of Lunacy"
Wed, March 4, 2020
UConn, Humanities Institute
Food will be served
REQUIRED READING FOR REP CERTIFICATE
All students enrolled in the REP Graduate Certificate program will meet once with core faculty to discuss a new book with significant REP content. This 2019-20 academic year, the book we've chosen is Julia Suarez-Krabbe's Race, Rights, and Rebels.
Race, Rights and Rebels: Alternatives to Human Rights and Development
An analysis of the evolution of the overlapping histories of human rights and development, and an exploration of the alternatives, through the lens of indigenous and other southern theories and epistemologies.
Other Suggested Readings:
• Slavery Unseen: Sex, Power, and Violence in Brazilian History
• Stand Your Ground: Black Bodies and the Justice of God
• Racial and Ethnic Politics in American Suburbs